LIO | LONDON IMPROVISERS ORCHESTRA
Sunday 6 September | £8/£6 | BUY TICKETS
Session 1 – doors 7pm – start 7.30pm end 8.20pm (20 ppl max)
Session 2 – doors 8.50pm – start 9pm end 9.50pm (20 ppl max)
“The kind of intensity, excitement, and invention that this ensemble creates via spontaneous means is unique in New Music circles.”
Art Lange, Fanfare
In 1997, Evan Parker, Ian Smith and Steve Beresford put together a 24-piece orchestra to tour the UK for the Contemporary Music Network, under the baton of Butch Morris. Butch, sadly no longer with us, was a New York-based African-American cornet player, arranger and exponent of the improvised conducting technique known as ‘conduction’.
About a year after that, we put together the London Improvisers Orchestra to carry that process on. All members of the orchestra were encouraged to conduct pieces. Since our first gig, at the Red Rose in Finsbury Park, we have played pretty well every month at various venues.
These shows will present a slightly reduced, and pandemic-aware, LIO.
Important safety information:
Here’s how we’re keeping you & our teams safe:
- Daily health screenings for our team
- PPE available for our team & guests
- Hand sanitiser & antibacterial gel available
- Reduced furniture to accommodate social distancing and allow safer service to our guests
- Regular full surface cleaning in all areas
- Contactless & card payments only
- Virtual queuing system
- Risk assessments available on request
Here’s what we ask of you:
- Please wear a face mask before entering the venue
- On arrival, we’ll be checking guest temperatures with a contact free thermometer. Anyone that has a temperature above 38 degrees or COVID-19 symptoms will not be permitted into the venue;
- Please be mindful of social distancing when staying with us.
- Be kind and understanding with our teams, as we all navigate this situation together.
- Enjoy your experience with us and let us know if there’s more you think we can be doing.